Travelers FAQ

Local 50 has developed the following list of frequently asked questions to assist HFIAW Brothers and Sisters who are exploring options or planning to travel to our jurisdiction in Central Ohio for work.

We thank the members who are coming to our jurisdiction for your help as we fill some of our open calls and help our contractors maintain or grow their market share.


Answers to Important Questions for Working in Central Ohio

Where do I start?

You must inquire about travel opportunities with your Local Union representatives first. Once you have obtained permission and decided to travel to our jurisdiction, we ask you to fill out the “Request to Work Form.”

This form will share your important personal information and work experience with the Local 50 team managing the significant influx of travelers we’re expecting in our jurisdiction. Filling out this form will streamline the process to get you on one of the many jobsites in our jurisdiction.

Your information will not be shared with anyone outside of Local 50.

You must be in good standing with your home Local in order to work in Local 50’s jurisdiction. NO EXCEPTIONS!

What type of identification do I need?
You will need to have photo identification, a valid driver’s license and a copy of your current dues receipt.
How do I get paid?

If you elect to use Direct Deposit, you will want to make sure you have your banking information (personal check, account number, routing number).

Where do I stay?
Traveling members are responsible for securing and paying for their own lodging. However, the Columbus/Central Ohio Building and Construction Trades Council and Local 50 are in the process of negotiating lodging rates with nearby hotels and campgrounds to assist traveling members. We will share a link to that information when it is available.
Where do my benefits go?
  • Benefits accrued while working in the Local 50 jurisdiction will be reciprocated back to your home Local’s benefit funds only if you Local is affiliated with the National Asbestos Worker (NAW) Pension and Medical Fund. Benefits follow the member.
  • Annuity will not be reciprocated, but traveling members can withdraw or roll over the annuity six months after the last payment was made while working on a job in the Local 50 jurisdiction.
What about state income tax?

Ohio does have a state income tax. It will be withheld from your paycheck.

Travelers Checklist

For members who infrequently travel or have never traveled, this checklist can help understand what may be needed prior to working in a new area.

This checklist will help you stay organized, prepared and avoid unnecessary stress, while making the whole process of traveling for work more smooth.

What to do in the Columbus area for those members traveling with spouses and members with children

There are plenty of things to do in and around the Columbus area for our Brothers and Sisters that may be traveling with family. Please check out the link below to find out everything Columbus has to offer.